About the Brighton & Seacliff Yacht Club

After the first World War, in 1918 a group of Seacliff enthusiasts formed an embryo Seacliff Sailing Club, their headquarters being a modest hut built of aloes. At the same time a small group of boat owners, who moored off the Brighton Jetty, planned to form their own club. However at a meeting in Southcott's Rooms, Jetty Road, Brighton, in October 1919, attended by twenty residents of the district, the two groups came together and founded the Brighton & Seacliff Yacht Club. Benjamin Benny was elected Commodore and T.M. Bennett Secretary.

READ BRIEF HISTORY     READ DETAILED HISTORY
 

Sailing

We are Adelaide’s foremost off-the-beach yacht club and our experience is gained not just through the successful organisation of Club sailing but the management of numerous state, national and world championships. We’ve made a significant contribution to the design and development of yacht classes and BSYC appeals to members of all ages and abilities. Read more >>

Sailing and Aquatics School

Brighton and Seacliff Yacht Club is a Yachting Australia Training Centre and delivers a full program of Learn To Sail, powerboat and windsurfing courses. We also offer general aquatics programs during the term and at the holidays and we aim to give as many people as possible the opportunity to "come ‘n’ try." Read more >>
 

Functions

Brighton and Seacliff Yacht Club is one of Adelaide's top function centres and we have years of experience in hosting and managing weddings, celebrations and meetings. Our popularity is a result of our fabulous location, our superb service and our cost effective deals. Read more >>

Bar and Bistro

The Mariners Bar is open every day from 4.30pm and offers the best company and cheapest beer on the coast! Our bistro is open to all on Friday evenings and offers great food and great value. Members receive a 10% discount off their bill. Read more >>

Part of the Community

We're over 90 years old (and looking pretty good for it) and as one of the oldest institutions in the area we recognise our community responsibility. We take a full interest in council business and support initiatives that benefit members and the local community.

Child Safe Environment

Brighton and Seacliff Yacht Club is committed to ensuring the safety of all children and young people at the Club.  To this end we have developed the following documents:

Member Protection Policy including reporting forms (PDF)

Code of Conduct for Children and Young People (PDF)

Code of Conduct for Staff, Volunteers and Parents (PDF)

Child Safe Policy (PDF)

Child Safe Procedure (PDF)

Following the Mulligan Enquiry into the abuse of children in State care, the South Australian Government passes an amendment to the Children's Protection Act of 1993.  As required, BSYC has lodged a Child Safe Environment Compliance Statement with the Department for Families and Communities and has developed a policy to assess all paid and voluntary positions in the Club and to 'prescribe' which positions require suitability for working with children screening check which must include police records check.

Brighton and Seacliff Yacht Club has appointed DOUG NAIRN as CHILD SAFE OFFICER.  His TELEPHONE NUMBER IS 0417 002 521
 

Officers and Management Committee

Commodore Bruce Noble
Retiring Commodore Tony Gold
Vice Commodore Lisa Brock
Rear Commodore Tony Gold
Treasurer Bradley Barnes
Members Andrew Dallisson
David Belford
Peter Higgins
Jim Lelliott
Tony Turton
Darren Witty
Judith Noble
Club Secretary Kylie Thomas
Junior Flag Officer Jonas Barrett

LIFE MEMBERS    GRANSBURY MEDAL

 

BSYC Sponsors

The Brighton and Seacliff Yacht Club is proudly sponsored by the following companies. Please show your support for the companies that support our club by following the links below.

Binks Yacht Fittings was established in 1965 and since then has grown into one of South Australia's leading yachting and boating retail outlets.

Since the sale of Binks Yacht Fittings to Sandy Higgins, one of Australia's leading yachtsmen, many exciting changes have occurred in the business. These include a new look chandlery at Somerton Park with an extended range of products, a new store at West Beach, stocking all fishing and boating needs and the development of our new website and online store. Visit website >>

As the name implies, at LJ Hooker Glenelg we're locals. We love our community and have a deep understanding of our local property market.

The team at LJ Hooker Glenelg takes the time to understand what it is you need and then partners with you to provide a tailored service that caters to your unique circumstances. Visit website >>

Your local plumbing and gas experts ... Tom van der Jeugd’s dream was to build a business that has a positive presence and impact in the community. 22 years later and with a staff of seven, Seaview Plumbing has built itself on the basis of strong and reliable work with a friendly face. Visit website >>

Adelaide Conveyancing established in 1987, and is a local South Australian practice specializing in residential and commercial property settlements. Visit website>>

At Verve we're here to help. Focusing on accounting, financial planning and business development, we're proud to offer a diverse range of services to assist our clients no matter how big or small their need. With office in Adelaide, Alice Springs and Darwin our staff bring world class capabilities to improve your business or personal finance. Visit website >>

JABA Multimedia Design offers an outstanding level of skill and experience in creating and producing landmark multi-media products for national and international audiences. JABA's integrated approach to multimedia spans many facets of the industry, including creative and technical web development, graphic design, brand management, live events, presentations, television production, animations and more. Visit website >>

Underground Installations Pty Ltd (UGI) is a Company based in South Australia with extensive trenching and directional boring experience enabling the undertaking of a wide variety of underground service installations and associated work. Cross utilisation of plant between both companies provides a complete range of services from pipe & cable location, excavation by trenching, rock sawing and boring, installation of cables and pits, airport lighting cables, warning tapes and markers, backfill, compaction and rein-statement. Visit website>>

All showrooms have working display units and equipment information. We invite you to phone or visit your closest showroom to enquire about the latest state of the art domestic air conditioning equipment and to find out more about the most energy efficient way to air condition your home.

Our brands are recognised by architects, engineers and technicians as the superior choice. If your are looking for a reliable, high quality system for your home, it's worth considering Daikin, Breezair and Braemar.
We take particular care to design an air conditioning system to suit your home and individual needs. This can be done in our showrooms or we are happy to visit your home for a free appraisal and quotation. Visit website>>

The Office for Recreation and Sport (ORS) is the lead agency for the implementation of the South Australian Government's policy on recreation and sport. The ORS delivers a wide range of programs and services that support our vision for all South Australians to be ‘Active for Life'.  Visit website >>

Contact - BSYC
(08) 8296 7935

246 Esplanade Seacliff South Australia 5049
Email: bsyc@bsyc.com.au Fax: (08) 8377 2705
Full Contact Details and Office Hours
Location Details

Contact BSYC for any general enquiries by filling out the form below.

Secretary Office Hours 

Sailing Season (October - April):
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 am - 3.00 pm
Saturday: 11.00 am - 2.00 pm
Off Season (May - September):
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 am - 3.00 pm

Functions Enquiries 

Andrew Hirschausen manager@bsyc.com.au
8296 7935 / 0434 313 540

Membership 

Kylie Thomas bsyc@bsyc.com.au
8296 7935

Sailing Professional 

Brett Yardley sailing@bsyc.com.au
8296 7935

Boat Storage 

Bruce Noble bsyc@bsyc.com.au
8296 7935

All other enquiries 

Kylie Thomas bsyc@bsyc.com.au
8296 7935

 
 
 

The Twenties

  • Land for a clubhouse was leased from the Minister of National Pleasure Resorts.  The registration fee and stamp duty amounted to the equivalent of $1.25.
  • Clubhouse built in 1926 for 450 pounds was opened on Jan 29 1927 with a membership of 70

The Thirties

  • Membership affected by the depression but rejuvenated in the late 30s
  • Weekly racing on Saturdays took place around a fixed course
  • The ‘famous’ Sharpie dinghy was introduced to the Club

The Forties

  • After the war, member numbers grew to 116
  • Major upgrade to the Club took place

The Fifties

  • The Payne-Mortlock Sailing Canoe and the Rainbow were introduced to the Club
  • 1st rescue boat added to the Club fleet

The Sixties

  • Lightweight Sharpie, International 505 and Holdfast Trainers introduced
  • 505 World Championships held at BSYC, the first Australian yacht club ever to hold a World Championship
  • By the end of the 60s there were 11 classes of dinghy including 90 Herons

The Seventies

  • The heyday...over 1000 members and 330 registered boats
  • The Club hosted the 420 Worlds in 1972 where Club members were first and second
  • Increased classes included the Mirror, 420, 303, 470 and ‘trailer’ sailors TS16 and Austral 20

The Eighties

  • The Club hosted a national championship every year during the 80s
  • 505 Worlds held again in 1983
  • Interschool regatta introduced
  • The club was now recognised as Australia’s ‘World Championship Club’ having extensive experience at running prestige small boat sailing events.
  • The Advertiser referred to BSYC as the largest off-the-beach sailing club in the southern hemisphere

The Nineties

  • Membership began to fall and by the end of the decade steadied at around 450
  • A ‘Future Directions’ committee was formed and recommended the development of junior sailing

The 2000's

  • Fleet sizes declined at the start of the century resulting in reduced revenue
  • Function centre introduction and the bar becomes the Club's biggest income earner 
  • 505 World Championships held in 2007
  • Towards the end of the decade membership numbers reinvigorated, especially juniors
  • In 2009/10 all BSYC members are state champions in EVERY class sailed at BSYC
CLOSE WINDOW

History of the Brighton & Seacliff Yacht Club

The Start

After the first World War, in 1918 a group of Seacliff enthusiasts formed an embryo Seacliff Sailing Club, their headquarters being a modest hut built of aloes. At the same time a small group of boat owners, who moored off the Brighton Jetty, planned to form their own club. However at a meeting in Southcott's Rooms, Jetty Road, Brighton, in October 1919, attended by twenty residents of the district, the two groups came together and founded the Brighton & Seacliff Yacht Club. Benjamin Benny was elected Commodore and T.M. Bennett Secretary.

Thus the Brighton & Seacliff Yacht Club was born and it is unlikely that those early members could have visualised the fleet as it is today, let alone the type of boat the members would be sailing. The boats that raced that first season were a far cry from today's sleek craft but they must have been an impressive sight with huge sail area, long overhanging booms and projecting bowsprits. In that first season of 1919 seven boats raced; two eighteen footers, Fife (L.T. Bennett) and Bonney Rig (Cecil Gregory and Gil Vaughton) which were moored at the Brighton Jetty; four fourteen footers, Weeona (H.G. Collyer), Swallow (W. Ashdown), Kangaroo (M. Somerville) and Nimrod (H. Hustler)and one hard chined thirteen footer, Fizzy Lizzy (C.B. Norton).

In 1920 the club fleet grew from seven boats to eleven with four more eighteen footers sailing from the club, Shamrock (H. Hancock) which was moored at Somerton, and two Glenelg eighteens, Adele (Lew Cottrell) and Lavendo (C.H. Deckert) joined the fleet. Cliff Norton had sold Fizzy Lizzy to Colin Haselgrove who headed a syndicate which built the eighteen foot Unity, a remarkable boat which sailed with great success until she was caught in a severe storm in 1924. Unity was washed through the jetty and was severely damaged, never to race again. 1921 saw further additions to the fourteen foot fleet creating a diversity which would have tested the handicapper in obtaining fair results.

The Twenties

In the early days a number of regattas provided the highlights of the season. The popular ones were Brighton Regatta on New Year's Day and the Glenelg Commemorative Day Regatta on January 28 which saw boats sailing from Henley and Grange to compete. The club existed without a clubhouse until 1925 when difference of opinion as to location were resolved and T.M. Hardy as Commodore successfully negotiated with the Minister of National Pleasure Resorts the lease which the club now stands on. The registration fee and stamp duty amounted to the equivalent of $1.25. 

Having acquired the land in June 1926 it became necessary to raise money to build 'a clubhouse capable of providing accommodation for small craft equipped with dressing rooms, showers, lockers etc.' The estimated cost was four hundred and fifty pounds. The official opening of the building was on Saturday January 29 at which time membership had reached seventy five including ten life members and eight cadet members.

Cadet Dinghies: In 1925 particulars of the cadet class dinghy were obtained by T.M. Hardy from Mr Paul Ross, a great friend of Mr Hardy's. This proved an event of great significance to the club as the eventual adoption of this class laid the foundation for class racing of future years. The introduction of this class was probably the first positive step in Australia to cater for youth sailing. Many of today's top Australian yachtsmen and women started sailing in these fine boats.

The 12 foot cadet dinghy continued to develop and was the dominant class in the club from the mid thirties to the mid forties. The seagoing capabilities of these small craft was well demonstrated in the 'Ocean Race' which was held annually over a fifty mile course, leaving Brighton on Saturday afternoon to Outer Harbour, round Torrens Island and back to B&SYC on the Sunday evening. Crews were permitted a fifteen minute rest at Outer Harbour before the all night passage home. The racing was surprisingly close, in March 1936 Heather won by a boat length to Tom Thumb. 

Another seagoing effort recorded is the Christmas cruise to Port Noarlunga from the Sunday to the Tuesday with two dinghies escorted by two eighteen footers and a motor launch. Crews camped at Noarlunga, held sailing and rowing races with the highlight being the community campfire. As lifejackets were not commonly used, crews in 1936 - 37 had to undergo a 400 yard swimming test before being permitted to compete in club events.

The Thirties

The depression in the thirties saw the club go through difficult times and the scant records available indicate a drop in membership though subscriptions were reduced from one guinea to ten shillings. Fortunately this was not to last with the late thirties seeing the fleet grow once again and improvements made to the club rooms and surrounding grounds. With the regular breezes experienced a fixed triangular course was set starting with a south westerly mark to a northerly off Brighton then twice around an easterly and finishing off the club.

The Forties

Whilst membership had been fairly static during the war years, there was an increase in both members and boats after the war and in 1947 - 48 membership had reached one hundred and sixteen which included seventeen female members. Further upgrades were made to the club with extra facilities created for boat storage. While the twelve square metre Sharpie was first introduced to Brighton in the thirties, this international class sailed in England, Holland and Germany strengthened after the war continuing to provide competitive racing until 1963 with the introduction of the Lightweight Sharpie.

The Fifties

The fifties saw the introduction of two more classes, the Payne-Mortlock Sailing Canoe and the Rainbow giving the club four recognised classes which competed in weekly racing. Jim Hardy, Fred Neill and Bob Lanyon were among the more successful sailors of this time to name a few. As a measure of the successes, state championships went to Fred Neill, Jim Hardy and Neil Crowley who also took out the Australian National Championships in the Payne-Mortlock Canoe which were hosted at the club. 

Additions to the club and its racing facilities included the first rescue boat, a fifteen foot six H.P. petrol motor launch and separate starts were introduced for each class. The first floor of the new clubhouse was built from 1956 - 57, designed and organised by club members.

The Sixties

1960 - 65 saw further significant changes in all areas firstly with the introduction of junior training and the Holdfast Trainer. Two new senior classes also made their debut, the Lightweight Sharpie and the International 505. Membership was to almost double and a full time caretaker was appointed. The major undertaking was the completion of club extensions and Australian yachting history was made when the club hosted the 505 World series which was the first world series ever held in Australia.

In 1960 - 61 junior membership stood at sixty five and interest was being shown by many others. A sub-committee led by Harvie Haselgrove was appointed to consider the establishment of a junior training scheme. Nine club Holdfast Trainers were built by the end of 1961. By 1968 there were ninety three Herons also registered at the club - by far the largest fleet in the eleven classes at the club. A new rescue boat was also commissioned. Championship highlights of the sixties were significant including a national championship in the international 505s to Fred Neill and world championships to Brian Price and Chris Hough in 1963, John Parrington and Chris Hough again in 1964 and Jim Hardy and Max Whitnall in 1966 which were hosted at the club and fielded seventy competitors. Further achievements included a national championship to Robin Haselgrove and national junior championship to Sue Haselgrove in the Rainbow class. Sue later married Bob Perkins who became one of the most successful helmsmen in the now flourishing Lightweight Sharpie.

The Seventies

By the onset of the seventies the club register had grown significantly, now containing more than three hundred and thirty boats with more than twelve hundred and thirty members including juniors and thirteen regularly sailed classes. National championships went to Geoff and Des Schramm in the 505s, John Gilder in the 420s and David Haselgrove in the Gwen 12s.

A further class was given a boost with the increased popularity of family sailing, the Mirror class numbered over fifty boats although from 1974 both the Mirrors and the Herons began a gradual decline. The most notable class emergence was the 303 which, based on the English 505 Moth Trainer and first designed in the sixties by Harvie Haselgrove and John Winwood began to grow in popularity. This was possibly inspired by the hosting by the club of the 1972 World Championships for the International 420 in which Anders Wangel and Doug Giles took first place and John Gilder and David Moncrief were runners up. The following year Anders also won the 420 single handed World Championships. John Gilder and Doug Giles had won the previous two World Championships.

Testifying to the seaworthiness of the 303, in 1977 Don Haselgrove and his son Paul sailed a 303 from Outer Harbour to Port Vincent. The class peaked in 1978 - 79 when the club register included twenty five boats. Youth was further boosted by the introduction of the South Australian Inter-schools Regatta by member Bill Leckie and held on West Lakes. Youthsail training for Australian and World championships was also introduced. A stronger world presence was testified by growing numbers of the international classes such as 505s, the newly introduced 470s and the 420s in which Clive Arnold was Australian Champion in 74/75, 75/76 and 76/77. Max and John Haselgrove also became National Champions in the Rainbows in 1973/74 hosted at the club in conjunction with the Flying Dutchman Nationals. The late seventies also saw a broadening of emphasis to include trailer sailors with the TS 16 and the locally designed and built Austral 20. This had a great effect on introducing a new breed of sailor as well as retaining those who felt dinghies may now be beyond them.

The Eighties

Of primary importance in the eighties was the excellent reputation gained by the club in hosting championship events with national titles being held at the club every season and the 505 World Championships in 1983. Further upgrades to facilities helped make these events even more comfortable. The initiatives from Brighton & Seacliff Yacht Club continued to flow with the founding in 1980 - 81 season of the Interschool sailing Regatta by Bill Leckie. This is a unique event using borrowed boats and has been so successful it has continued as a feature on the sailing calendar for 20 years and is still very well supported. The club was then in good shape in 1981 to hold the hugely successful Australian Youth Championships. Each state entered a team in the Championship comprising three 420 and three Laser youth skippers and crews. Beds were appropriated from the Largs Bay Police Academy and all the teams were housed in the club premises, together with their coaches and a live in cook. This ensured the event was affordable and encouraged National youth participation. Craig Ferris and Brian McKay won the 420 Championship from NSW with our club's Malcolm Higgins and Roger Pridham coming a close second. Larry Kliest from NSW won the Laser class championship. The following year the event was held in Geelong, but was not run on such an affordable basis. The club was now recognised as being Australia's World Championship Club' having extensive experience at running prestige small boat sailing events. The Brighton & Seacliff Yacht Club was also referred to in The Advertiser as the largest off the beach dinghy sailing club in the Southern Hemisphere. The next major event at the club was the second 505 World Championship in 1983. Neil Harrison and Nick Patterson of South Australia won the National Championship in strong gusting conditions. The World Championship was run in more settled conditions and was won in a clean sweep by 4 Toronto Club boats from Lake Macquarie NSW.

The Nineties

The club membership declined during "the recession we had to have" between the mid 1980s and early 1990s, when by 1996 membership stabilised around 450 and again started to grow. In 1998 the club formed The Future Directions Committee that was directed to investigate the options and recommend a course of action the club should take to ensure its well being in the new millennium. The committee delivered its findings in 3 options: 1) to reduce functions and services 2) maintain current membership as the optimum club size 3) to invest in and grow the club activities and membership. A new committee, charged with developing the 3rd option of Sustainable Future Development was formed and commenced preparing a business plan. The plan was to include funding considerations for investment in redevelopment of the club to lift its long-term viability and community relevance. Many of the club's youth sailors of the 1970's and 80's had progressed to gain senior class titles in the late 1980's and 1990's including Sandy and Malcolm Higgins and Brett Young as National 420 Champions. Peter Higgins won 2 Flying Dutchman championships and Malcolm Higgins featured again in National titles in the Sharpie class, as did Peter Woolman and Tony Turton. Brett Young gained both a National and World title in the Tasar class and Andy Dwyer sailed in the America's Cup on Kookaburra in Perth.

In the 1999 - 2000 season the National 505 titles were won by our Sandy Higgins. Realising the importance of supporting youth development in the early 1990's, to the sustainable future of dinghy sailing, Bob Perkins and "Macca" Hazelgrove organised a 303 boat-building scheme. Superior all fibre glass, light weight fully rigged vessels were designed and built with the purpose of being sold at very low prices to encourage youth from junior Holdfast trainers into an Intermediate sailing development vessel.

The 1980's Interschool initiative was further driven by the re-development of the 420 class in 1997 by Peter Marshall. Peter also arranged the financing for the building of Puffin Pacers for the Southern Schools Team sailing and racing. In 1998 a youth development committee was formed under the name of Shoot the Breeze. This committee aimed at growing club membership by refocussing sailing development and training on youth programs. The program targeted and obtained endorsements and financial support from prominent South Australians, such as The State Governor Sir Eric Neal, State Government Ministers Hon Iain Evans and Hon Wayne Matthew, YSA President Wally Rantenan and yachting icon Sir James Hardy. By October 2000 over $6000 in funding was secured from sponsors and State Government and the support of SA Yacht Clubs was obtained when a new committee was formed. The program initiative was unanimously supported by the SA Yacht clubs to incorporate "Shoot the Breeze" as a state body. During the 1999 and 2000 seasons a tractor and two new Stahl Rescue boats, the Sir James and Haselgrove II were purchased by the club to improve the effectiveness and reliability of sailing support and rescue functions. The 2000 season represented a time of cooperation and strategic alliances with excellent communications and relations between the adjoining Brighton & Seacliff Surf Lifesaver Club and our Yacht Club. Dialogue between the clubs, commenced by the Future Development sub-committee, considered the advantages of utilising joint resources to expand the amenities for the mutual benefit of LifeSavers and Yacht club members. At the same time the Club Management Committee prepared a plan to undertake urgently required major maintenance work on the forty-year-old main club building.

The 2000's

The 2000's were in many ways a difficult period for B&SYC with overall fleet sizes continuing to decline and numbers racing in long established classes no longer being sustainable. For many years the club had been able to boast 4 senior dinghy classes, being the Australian Sharpie, Payne Mortlock Sailing Canoe, International Flying Dutchman and International 505. By the end of the decade the senior fleet consisted of fourteen odd Sharpies, about six 505's and 1 Canoe, and the trailable yacht fleet stood at six boats.

With declining membership, the revenue from subscriptions and sailing fees was no longer the main income stream for the club and it became increasingly difficult to maintain cash flow and fund our core sailing and building maintenance activities.

The introduction of Friday night meals at the club proved successful but unfortunately led to under-utilization of the upper deck on Saturday nights. The decision to hire out the Upper deck of the club for Saturday functions was a difficult one for the Management Committee and disappointing for our members who had faithfully supported it over many years, but with careful management our function centre business began to grow and create a new income stream that was badly needed to improve aging club facilities and equipment. This marked the beginning of a controlled sharing of facilities which has placed the club in a financially stable position, but has still retained the overall management and direction of the club firmly in the hands of our members.

The Saturday after sailing activity has continued on the lower deck Mariners Bar and with the introduction of a sausage sizzle has become a more relaxed bbq event and race presentation, which is much enjoyed by our members and visitors.

Increased income from the function centre allowed funding for a substantial refurbishment of the Upper Deck including new aluminium/glass western façade and balustrade, enlarged balcony area and stairs, kitchen renovation, carpeting and a covered paved barbecue area below. The following year the refurbishment was extended to a new western facade to the Mariners bar and office, creating an increasingly popular area at ground level right on the beach. Further upgrade of the rescue boat fleet continued with ongoing motor and equipment upgrades.

The successful hosting of numerous national championship regattas continued through the decade, the most significant being the International 505 Class Nationals and Worlds Regatta in 2007 where our own Sandy Higgins managed a creditable third place in world class company. The hugely successful 505 Worlds, planned and managed by club volunteers, was seen as a major turning point in the decade, and indeed drove the deadlines for the major refurbishment work undertaken.

Towards the end of the decade the increased business activity of the club was proving difficult and unsustainable for our volunteers in the long term, and this led to the appointment of a part time club manager with defined roles heavily into increasing business activity and enlarging our membership base. This was intended to reduce the volunteer hours of key committee members and hopefully encourage others to serve on committees and share the load. The club now has a full time manager, a new strategic plan which we are working to implement and benefit from. Also membership is on the rise, particularly in the youth area which had experienced considerable decline in this decade.

On the water, the Australian Sharpie and Sabre classes remain the backbone of our club, with numbers of sailors in other classes quietly on the increase. Even with reduced numbers our members continued to be successful in State and National Championships with Malcolm Higgins being successful on two occasions in the Australian Sharpies and Sandy Higgins on four occasions in the 505's. After many attempts John Gratton became Australian Champion in the Sabre Class, and in the 2009/10 season our members were state champions in the Sharpie, 505, NS14, Sabre and Holdfast trainer classes. The International Optimist class has been introduced to the club as an alternative junior class to the Holdfast Trainer, and the junior fleet is beginning to increase and provide valuable new blood into the youth group. Increased attention to both junior and senior learn to sail programs and coaching opportunities is seen as essential to club success.

Even with the considerable refurbishment of the main clubhouse, other club facilities remain in need of attention to ensure our function centre and sailing facilities remain viable. To ensure any future works carried out on the club site will proceed towards an overall master plan, a subcommittee has produced a list of prioritised functional requirements essential to the club's future direction. It is expected that a master plan will assist should any external funding opportunities arise, and the project is ongoing with the engagement of architects to draw up concept plans for club land and buildings.

CLOSE WINDOW
 

Life Members

Life Membership is awarded to members for outstanding service to the club.

Charles F Haselgrove
C Frank Haselgrove
LG Haselgrove
FRE Haselgrove
TH Pearse
H Southcott
R Parsons
WO Freeman
Keith H McCoy
Mrs EC Hardy
A Rimmer
AR Malone
HF Haselgrove
I B Gray
BW Gransbury
AR Bonner
BK Trott
PM Sievewright
JA Hopkins
RD Lumb
JD McPherson
AE Young
GH Doughty
WT Dowdy
JS Clark
JR Blake
LM Brown
AD Colliver
Mrs JE Doughty
Mrs N Higgins
JH Stewart
Mrs J Brown
Mrs D Colliver
IL Young
RJ Couch
PR Gold
GJ Turton
S Punke
J Cobb

The Gransbury Medal

The Gransbury Medal is awarded to members that show great club spirit.

1988 Sandy Higgins
1989 Maida Bloch
1990 Mark Stewart
1991 Bob Anesbury
1992 Bob Perkins
1993 Ian Young
1994 David Weaver
1995 Christine McCloud
1996 Phil Fletcher
1997 Trent Kirby
1998 Bob Couch
1999 Alan Young
2000 Judy Fletcher
2001 John Cobb
2002 David Barnes
2003 Don Backler
2004 Daryl Heath
2005 David Webber
2006 Anthony Colliver
2007 Ian Bowden
2008 Nancy Higgins
2009 Geoff Turton
2010 Daniel Richardson
2011 Laura Averay
2012 Peter Gold
2013 Ian Howard-Jones
2014 Martin Hinks
2015 Don Woolman

 

BSYC is located at the southern end of the Esplanade at Seacliff, approximately 30 minutes south of Adelaide’s CBD. Looking over the Gulf of St Vincent , BSYC is relatively sheltered at the foot of Marino Rocks and we are directly beside Kingston Caravan Park and serviced by both train and bus.

Getting here from Adelaide CBD

Take Anzac Highway and turn left onto Brighton Road. Turn right onto Jetty Road at Brighton and then left onto The Esplanade and keep going until you reach the public car park.

Getting here from Eastern Suburbs

Take Goodwood Road and then Main South Road. Turn right onto Seacombe Rd. Turn left onto Brighton Road and then immediately right onto Wheatland Street. At The Esplanade turn left until you reach the car park

Getting here from the south

From Hallett Cove go north on Ocean Boulevard and turn left onto Wheatland Street. At the Esplanade turn left until you reach the car park. Otherwise go north on the Expressway or Main South Road and turn left onto Seacombe then Brighton Road and Wheatland Road.